BP MINI BASE CONSTRUCTION
The BP Mini
Mid-lengths are taking over! Surfers of all abilities and styles have seen the mid-length light, finding they catch more waves and have more fun on these cruisey paddle machines.
But the BP Mini is no ordinary mid-length. Fourth shaper Luke Hart has taken a mid-length, kept its superior flow and glide, and made it easier to ride, more functional, as performance-oriented as possible.
Who’s the BP Mini for? Longtime shortboarders who are fed up of a single-figure wave count but still want to surf dynamically and smack a few lips; mid-length enthusiasts who miss the sensation of a tight turn in the pocket; longboarders who want something they can fit in the car and ride more easily in hollower waves; anyone struggling with water time and fitness… The list goes on. But originally it was just for Luke himself, and he probably puts it best:
“I don’t care what other people think about my surfing and I don’t care about getting better, I just want to make sure that I’m having fun. And if your aspiration isn’t necessarily to improve, it’s just to make the most of your surfing, then by default you probably will improve.”
- Outline: Mid-length surfboard with a bullet template, i.e. straighter rail line through the mid-section with a slight “hip” just before the fins, pulling in the tail
- Rider Ability: All levels. It’s been designed with intermediate to advanced surfers and dynamic, up-and-down performance in mind, but the volume and width make it suitable for beginners too
- Suitable Conditions: Great in pretty much anything – that’s the wonderful thing about a mid-length. Obviously you’ve got a decent amount of volume and surface area which translates into glide and wave-catching ability in smaller surf, but what a lot of people don’t realise is that mid-lengths make brilliant step-up boards when the swell picks up. You can get into big waves early and easily, and the longer rail line is prefect for handling the sizier faces. (Check the clip below for evidence of its amazing range.)
- Tail Shape: A very rounded squash tail or “thumb” tail
- Rails: 60/40 i.e. slightly turned down, with the apex lower than halfway – 60% of the rail above the apex and 40% below, which is more typical of a shortboard
- Rocker: When you compare it to a standard shortboard it’s fairly low, but compared to a normal mid-length it’s definitely high, helping facilitate critical turns and giving you a bit more of a shortboard sensation.
- Concave: (From nose to tail) Vee to double-vee to double to vee, a forgiving set-up that aids smooth transitions between rails.
- Fin Set-Up: 5-fin (surf as a tri-fin or a quad)
- Fin System: FCS II (fins not included)
- Construction: Fourth’s Base construction is standard PU construction by another name. It consists of a polyurethane blank (supplied by the industry-leading US Blanks) laminated with Hexcel cloth and Silmar polyester resin. These are all premium materials, and what’s more the boards are finished in 24/7 heat-controlled conditions to optimise both durability and performance.
|6'2||20 5/8"||2 11/16"||37.2|
|6'4||20 7/8"||2 3/4"||39.7|
|6'6||21 1/8"||2 13/16"||42.2|
|6'8||21 3/8"||2 7/8"||44.8|
|6'10||21 5/8"||2 7/8"||46.4|
|7'4||22 3/8"||3 1/16"||55.3|
|7'6||22 5/8"||3 1/16"||56.9|
We aim to ship to any address in the world. Note that there may be restrictions on some products.
When you place an order, we will estimate shipping and delivery dates for you based on the availability of your items and the shipping options you choose. For Custom orders and Pre-orders you will receive confirmation when the board is ready and has been dispatched.
You may return most new, unopened items within 30 days of delivery for a full refund. We'll also pay the return shipping costs if the return is a result of our error (you received an incorrect or defective item, etc.).
You should expect to receive your refund within four weeks of giving your package to the return shipper, however, in many cases you will receive a refund more quickly. This time period includes the transit time for us to receive your return from the shipper (5 to 10 business days), the time it takes us to process your return once we receive it (3 to 5 business days), and the time it takes your bank to process our refund request (5 to 10 business days).
If you need to return an item, simply login to your account, view the order using the "Complete Orders" link under the My Account menu and click the Return Item(s) button. We'll notify you via e-mail of your refund once we've received and processed the returned item.